Priestley Miller became the first full-time minister at Harpeth Presbyterian Church in 1943. During his twenty-year ministry, the congregation grew from around 19 members to 250 members, and the church expanded its facilities. It had been a long dream of Mr. Miller that a preschool be housed in these facilities on weekdays and be nurtured by the congregation. In 1968, an endowment from a local businessman for the founding of such a school encouraged Mr. Miller to seek a founder and Director. Mrs. Ruth Steele, a member of the congregation, accepted the challenge and the doors of Priestley Miller Kindergarten, as it was known then, opened in September of 1969. It is with great pride that we celebrated our 40th Anniversary in 2009!
Over the years, Priestley Miller Preschool has grown to fit the needs of our growing community. Through the dedicated work of each Director, Pastor, Teacher, and Parent, Priestley Miller Preschool is now a licensed, 3 star preschool that houses 4 classrooms for children ages 18 months to 5 years old.
A Board of Directors was developed in 1976 for the purpose of advising preschool administrative policy. This Board has remained active in administrating and resolving policy issues since it's development.
The Parent Advisory Committee is also serving the Preschool. It is made up of parent volunteers and the Director. Its purpose is to maintain the day-to-day implementation of enriching experiences for our children alongside our qualified and experienced teaching staff.